Friday, November 15, 2013

The Lost Letter of the Prince of Thebes

Oh Creon! "I would call you mad, were you not my father!" (147). I, Haemon, have tried my truest to persuade Creon otherwise. He must have some kind of personal vendetta for that poor man Polynices. Now, my poor fiancé, Antigone, must suffer the unjust consequences, "that ever a woman suffered for an honorable action - burying a bother who was killed in battle, rather than leave him naked for the dogs to maul and carrion birds to peck at. Has she not earned a crown of gold?" (145). Why must someone so valiant suffer the wrath of a thick-skulled man? Ah, yes father, " You'd be an excellent king - on a desert island" (146). He will listen to no one except the pride in his own head. Oh, father haven't you read the stories of the Gods? Disobeying their laws always has consequences! Instead, you refuse proper burial to make an example of a man that was more just in his ways than you! However, I will not stand for this any longer. I tried to appeal to your better nature, but that only proved to fail. Never, "From this hour shall you see me again" (147).
As for you, my sweet Antigone, out of your beautiful resilience, could you not have been more subtle in your actions? Oh, you "poor girl, doomed to the cruelest death" (145). It may be dangerous to say, but I idol you more than the Gods. I have seen your immense compassion in burying the one you loved. I too wish to have this kind of love, so now I must say that I am infatuated with you. How great a woman is she: she who does not listen to the pettiness of the common woman of Thebes, but disobeys the kings and forgoes a task not even the strongest man could carry out. My heart is sick with love and now it pains me to see your stubbornness has locked in a prison of death. I shall wait here no longer for any other woman. I may have an assortment of women beyond any man's wildest dreams, but I must have you my sweet Antigone. For "If she dies, she does not die alone" (146).

With As much Love as Aphrodite will credited me,
                                                  Your Husband in death,
                                                                                Haemon <3

2 comments:

  1. Eric, this. is. AMAZING! Your letter in Haemon's tone of voice was so convincing in your conviction's against Creon, and even the part professing your love for Antigone! Forget Shakespeare, those are some beautifully poetic lines! I really liked the contemplation in the letter where you said "make an example of a man who was more just in his ways than you" implying that Creon's disobedience of the gods is a whole other level of unacceptable and traitorous. And Antigone with her "beautiful resilience", oh my lord my heart was melting as if Haemon and she were doomed together! "With as much love as Aphrodite will credit me"... I MEAN FOR REALS! You have a way with words and seamlessly expressing the thoughts of Haemon in character in relation towards his father and to his beloved Antigone. It was very convincing, thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I agree with Mel, Eric-- this was great! :) Haemon is so adorably lovelorn. I also loved the line, "You refuse proper burial to make an example of a man that was more just in his ways than you!" His confession that he idolized Antigone more than the gods was also a great layer of complexity to add. And Eric! Your diction and syntax just elevated on up there! It's awesome to see your versatility in that regard.

    One thing that I'm not sure was intentional, but it ended up being really interesting was the fact that this shifted audiences several times. At times Haemon was addressing Creon, at times himself, at times Antigone, at times back to himself. It added a bit of confusion, but also made for a convincing and emotional inner monologue!

    Again, great job with your characterization!
    14/15

    ReplyDelete